My Baby is Entering Kindergarten

19 Aug

I have 3 close friends who are all currently pregnant.  Somehow it’s made me more aware of  my baby, perhaps it’s the fact that she’s IT.

It was so, so hard having 3 children so close, 3 babies together to care for; now I get a lump in my throat when I think about the little one entering kindergarten in just a couple of weeks.  Because I know from the twins , (the second graders!),  how time seems to accelerate once kids enter real school.

Truthfully, there’s a lot of guilt I need to resolve from when they were babies.  I was so stressed out and I lament the fact that I didn’t derive constant pleasure from them like I should have…instead I was about surviving each day, wanting to get through them.

I get that as moms we beat ourselves up (some more than others!).  How do you get over that?

8 Responses to “My Baby is Entering Kindergarten”

1. Rosey August 19, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

You just have to let it go. It’s not who you are now, so it doesn’t deserve to steal any of the time you are enjoying. That’s my two-cents anyhow.

I have a little one starting Kindergarten soon too. They seem so little to be on their own all day, don’t they??

2. Elana August 20, 2012 at 7:49 am #

The thing I kick myself for is when I lose patience and raise my voice :(

3. Ms. Jolly Blogger August 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Don’t focus on the past. Enjoy the moments in the here and now. I think at one point all us mommies have felt that we haven’t been spending enough time just enjoying our little ones while we can–but look at it this way: despite wanting to make them the center of our world, the truth of the matter is that our kids are not our only priority. Being a mom is one of the busiest jobs out there! It’s natural to adopt that “survival” mentality day to day. As long as you know you’ve given your best efforts toward your kids then you’ve accomplished something good!

Have you tried setting a specific time frame devoted to just being with your kids? I’ve heard before that even some time as small as 20 minutes a day makes a huge difference in the way you bond with your kids!

Hang in there fellow Supermom! ;-)

P.S. How close in age are you kids exactly? My boys are 19 months apart. When I came in for my appointment with my OB/GYN doctor, she was like, “You again?! I just saw you!” Haha! My son will be starting pre-school in few weeks! It makes me sad everytime I think about it…

• Barbara @ Just Another Manic Mommy August 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Ms. JB thanks so much of your thoughtful reply. :)
      I’m pretty much with the kids all day and they are long days breaking up the fights, managing the whining and complaining and etc! I have 6 and a 1/2 year old twins and then their baby sister is just 18 months younger.
      Hope your little guy enjoys pre school and that it gives you a deserved break!

4. Mary Ann August 20, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Sometimes it just felt like a blur, when our kids were small. There’s so much to do!!!

We just dropped our youngest kid off at his first year of college, and I feel like I have left him off at kindergarten! Silly, huh? I hope he makes friends, learns a lot, and sticks to it. He might even have time for a nap!

I guess we worry no matter how old they get. You have lots of fun times ahead and you will be making a lot of fun memories. I’m looking forward to reading about it here!

• Barbara @ Just Another Manic Mommy August 20, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Mary Ann thanks for this response which almost choked me up.

I vividly remember my parents dropping me off at college. There were tears all around, except between us :)

Here I am lamenting about my baby in kinde and I know I will blink and she’ll be in her first year of college like your son. I don’t think what you’re feeling is silly at all. And, i hope he loves it :)

Thanks again for your kindness!