Pinewood Derby

23 Jan

The pinewood derby is a racing event for Cub Scouts within the Boy Scouts of America.  Theoretically, the Cub Scouts are supposed to construct their own cars from kits that contain wood, wheels and axles.  But when the Cub Scout is 6 years old, the construction of the car falls in the hands of the scout’s father.

My Cub Scout’s father, who is skilled at building things, did the very best he could.

The derby occurred over the weekend and the girls and I stayed home and anxiously awaited the outcome.  Unfortunately when the boys came home it was evident by their facial expressions that the news was not good.  My son has just started talking to his father again. :)

It makes me wonder how a parent driven activity like this really benefits my son?  I guess it brings home the lesson that in life you don’t always win.  :)

What do you think?

11 Responses to “Pinewood Derby”

1. Tami January 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

We are having our Pinewood Derby weigh-in tonight at the Pack meeting and our race is this Friday. My son is a first grade Tiger Cub. Most of the work has fallen on me and his dad. I went out and bought the stuff, he is assembling/painting. One of the pack dads cut out anyone’s cars who did not have a saw of their own. My son put a little bit of paint on and chose his number. We’ll see how it goes on Friday. My son really doesn’t understand what its all about, but I think he will enjoy taking part in the race Friday night. I like having my son be a part of a community of men and boys who are interested in helping him learn how to be a good person. He will hopefully learn something good by watching this year and taking part in the race.

2. becomingcliche January 23, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

This will be my son’s third year doing the Derby. Each time, he’s able to do more and more. Our pack had work days where parents and sons could come spend a morning together working on their car. My guys enjoy it.

• Barbara @ Just Another Manic Mommy January 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m hoping my son enjoys it next year :)

• becomingcliche January 24, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

I talked to a friend today who said that the first year was awful for them, but the second year was a much better experience. Good luck!

3. Doctor Doom January 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Total nonsense! This event is the battle of the Dad’s. All the kids do is paint and decorate. Who in their right mind would hand a 6 year old a power tool?

4. Kelly B. January 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

My son and husband enjoy designing and planning their car. My son (Wolf cub this year) does as much as he is able, with dad supervising. Our den stresses the fun of the derby, not the winning. We have talked about positive attitude and good sportsmanship every meeting this month in preparation for the derby… we have reminded them that not everyone wins, but everyone can have fun trying. Our race is Sunday and we are all looking forward to it!

• Barbara @ Just Another Manic Mommy January 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

Kelly I like what I’m hearing from you. I’m not sure my son got the same kind of prep pep talks. Hope you have a fun time on Sunday. :)

5. funny police prank January 22, 2014 at 4:36 am #

Howdy! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with
    us so I came to take a look. I’m definitely enjoying
    the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting
    this to my followers! Terrific blog and superb design and style.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. High Technology » Blog Archive » High-Tech Pinewood Derby Racetrack Resolves Race Times 0.00005 Seconds - February 19, 2012

[…] Pinewood Derby (justanothermanicmommy.com) […]